By: Nancy Blacks | posted in Reviews |
Date: April 27th, 2012
It is not easy selecting which cologne to use, much like choosing which suit is appropriate to wear. Your cologne must signify the kind of personality and lifestyle you have. If you are in the market to find the right cologne, you need to choose a base scent that is appealing yet comfortable enough to wear.
Majority of men’s cologne are formulated with strong notes of musk, citrus or sandalwood that essentially brings out the lighter notes of floral or spice. The right combination of scents must complement your lifestyle and it can improve your fashion since your cologne’s scent makes better impression than handshake.
How to choose your cologne that fit your lifestyle?
The following are some tips you could follow
In your favorite shop, spray different types of scents on different paper cards – not on your wrist especially if you are trying out several colognes at the same time. If you try them all on your wrist you are risking confusion with all the other scents combined and before you know it you wouldn’t know which scent appealed to you because it’s drowned among all the other scents.
- Do not let the sales personnel spray cologne on you and tell them to get a sample card where they could spray the scents on instead. You will free from the scents that may confuse you later on.
- Smell the sample cards and select the scents that appeals to you and get rid of colognes that smell like you’re wearing a pesticide, or the ones you don’t like.
- Once you have evaluated the scents you like, go out of the shop and fill your lungs with fresh air. By the time you are about to pick a cologne, your sense of smell is not overwhelmed by the number of scents you bombarded with. According to some, inhaling coffee scent between each scent allows you to get the maximum effect of the scent on your senses. Theoretically speaking, if you have a cup of coffee at hand when you’re shopping for cologne, you don’t need to go out of the store for a break, but it’s not practical.
- If you are not a coffee drinker or do not want to carry a cup of coffee around while you shop, give your nose some break before you make your final choice.
- Since you have already eliminated the scents you don’t like and you’re only left with a few choices, you can now start trying them on your wrist to see how the cologne smell with your body odor. This would be the final phase in the process of selecting your cologne.
See my top colognes for men.
Do you like this article?
Info: I'm a San Francisco based fragrance/beauty manager with nearly 10 years of experience behind me. I also love to write divers range of tips including technology, beauty products, and business. I really do enjoy doing in-depth research and I hope my articles do show that commitment. Over the years I always get ask by my friends and family for advice on beauty products. This is why I am here to help you find beauty products I believe are the best and where to get the best deals. (Please note, if you buy something listed here, then I will make a commission. Thank you if you do, but don’t feel obligated)