If you never had a Canadian passport before you will need a passport before leaving Canada. Even going down to the USA will require a passport. More information about Canada passport here. Passport Canada
Here’s a quick list of what you need if you never have a Canadian passport before:
- You will need to be a Canadian citizen, obviously…
- Need 2 color photos of you, less than 1 year old. I went to Wallmart and got mine for $25
- Fill out the forms, which can be downloaded at the Passport Canada website.
- In the forms you will have to put down two other Canadians you know for at least two years or more (who already has a Canadian passport). You need their full name, address, and contact info.
- There are more requirements. To read all the requirements, just look here.
If you have a Canadian passport before, look at this page Simplified Renewal Application Process. This was what I did and I went to the Passport office at Whitby, inside Whitby Mall. Address: 1615 Dundas Street East, Suite 6.
My brother went to the Whitby office and he said it took him 30 minutes to have everything done. When I went there during the afternoon (2PM). There were 10 people ahead of me and everything was done within 20 minutes. Pretty quick, considering it took several hours last time when I went to do my passport inside Toronto.
So check out the passport office at Whitby if you want to hand it in yourself. You can also mail in the forms as well as doing it online.
For the Simplified Renewal Application Process, remember to have two different references of someone you know more than 2 years, beside your relatives. The Simplified Renewal Application Process web page doesn’t tell you that, but you need two references and two new photos.
I will have my passport mail to me in two weeks because I went to deliver it in person, I believe if you mail to them in, it takes about 4 weeks.
I saw a police officer who came in right after I sat down. The officer sat and waited about 2 minutes and then he was up at the counter. He was done within 5 minutes including the wait time. So, if you are a police officer or some kind of government worker, you get special treatment.
Do you like this article?