How to cancel Energy contract without fee
- Call the Energy Company
- Ask the company for a copy of your alleged signed contract (you always want to say and write “alleged” because you do not want to say you or someone sign it) and ask for a copy of the confirmation call. If the Energy company does not have or send you a copy of the contract and the confirmation call, your contract is void.
- Tell the Energy company your brother is not responsible for the utility (I assume your brother’s name is not on the Enbridge bill). Only the people names on the utility bill are allow to sign and reconfirmed over the phone for any gas and electricity contract. If their name is not on the bill, the contract is void. If that’s the case go read #8, you may get your money back – ask for reimbursement for the money you over paid the Energy company vs if you were stuck with your local utility with Enbridge.
- Tell them the door-to-door sale agents lied to your brother by saying “they work for Enbridge”.
- When you call tell them the door-to-door sale agents lied by telling your brother they were there to give you a discount, when in fact it was for a fixed-rate contract for natural gas.
- Check the list again Top 10 Issues Raised By Gas and Electricity Retailer / Marketer and see if you can pick out any more things you can complain against Energy company.
- Energy company might offer you a lowered rate to keep your business, it’s up to you to accept their offer but keep in mind if you forget to cancel your contract. They may auto renew your contract. Also, if they tried to lowered your rate at 20.0 CENT per m3, that’s half of what you are paying now at 42.9 CENT per m3. But remember the current rate for natural gas is even lower and remember if you continue with the Energy company – you are supporting the same company that sent out these agents to your home.
- Tell the Energy company you will file your complaint to Ontario Energy Board if they do not cancel you without any fee.
Some basic information you need to know about Energy company
If you don’t know the current natural gas and electricity prices in Ontario. Check out this page to compare gas and electricity prices – if you don’t understand how it work, save yourself money and headaches by not signing anything at the door. You’re better off with Enbridge or your local utility.
Somewhere in there it read “Misrepresentation of Identity”.
Here’s how these door-to-door gas and electricity providers work and make profit: