Pros & Cons
- Good for evening and night shopping/eating out, but certainly not the cheapest market in Bangkok.
- Lots of mid to high end/upscale international restaurants as well as Thai restaurants, cost a bit more when compared to the rest of markets in Thailand. This is one of the best places to go if you’re looking for western or international food.
- Outdoor shopping, similar to Chatuchak Weekend Market, but with a newer, more western feel. Cleaner, and not as crowded.
- Have live Muay Thai (kick boxing) and lady-boy pageants.
- Great river front view of the Chao Phraya River.
- Unlike Chatuchak Weekend Market, Asiatique feels safe to bring small children to. Lots of space for walking as well as strollers.
- Largest Ferris-wheel in Bangkok, possibly in Thailand, and only 8-12 USD (250-350 baht) per person to ride (about 10 min., 3 rounds).
- Recently renovated, looks new, clean and modern. Looks and feels nothing like the rest of Bangkok or Thailand (although maybe some would consider this is a bad thing?).
- Super touristy, not an authentic Thailand experience.
- Very westernized, with dual pricing for Thais and westerners. May appeal more to those who only do 4+ star hotels? But still a good place to experience once if you have time and live nearby.
How to get there
Getting there with BTS
Get off at Saphan Taksin BTS and board the free shuttle boat at Sathorn Pier (5 min walk from Saphan Taksin BTS) and wait in line for the shuttle boat. The shuttle boat comes every 15 min.
Once aboard the shuttle boat, go south down Chao Phraya River, and in about 15-20 min you will reach Asiatique. Do the reverse when going home or take a meter-taxi, but be aware that the traffic on the road can get very congested. If you’re not in a hurry, you can try the meter-taxi, but we recommend taking the Saphan Taksin BTS and use the free shuttle boat up and down the Chao Phraya River.
Address: 2194 Charoen Krung Rd, Wat Phraya Krai, Bang Kho Laem, Bangkok 10120
What’s for sale – what you can find
Tourist products shops, clothing, souvenirs, bags, jewelry, accessories, furniture, home furnishings, Ferris wheel.
Performance – Joe Louis Puppet Theater and Calypso Bangkok Theater (ladyboy show)